Out-of-court dispute resolution

Alternative dispute resolution procedures are provided by neutral out-of-court bodies such as conciliators, mediators, arbitrators, the ombudsman and complaints boards. They can bring you and the trader together to help find a solution to your dispute. They can also propose a solution or even impose one. ECC-Centre of your home country can assist you in submitting your complaint to the appropriate ADR body in the country of the trader.


Alternative dispute resolution bodies have to meet strict EU quality criteria, which guarantee that they handle your dispute in an effective, fair, independent and transparent way. Most of them can help you free of charge or at a low cost. They usually reach an outcome within 90 days. Under EU law, you can use these bodies to handle all contractual disputes you may have with a trader established in the EU. Find a dispute resolution body in your country.